Environmental and Regulatory
The decommissioning facility at Greenhead Base is fully licensed with the Scottish Environment Protection Agency (SEPA), with all necessary planning approvals from Shetland Islands Council as the local authority, and all relevant regulatory bodies.
The facilities comprise:
- Purpose-built concrete pad, covering approximately 20,000m2 .
- Fully enclosed, all drains lead to a class 1 full retention interceptor.
- Includes: wash bay, bunded storage, quarantine area and emergency stations
It is operated by Veolia Environmental Services which has fully auditable disposal routes, comprehensive environmental accounting procedures and a wealth of expertise in waste management. Veolia holds the Pollution Prevention and Control [PPC] permit for the site, which is issued, approved and monitored by SEPA.
The site also has in place RSA authorisation for receipt, handling and storage of LSA / NORM materials.
The contracting partners PSBS and VES hold the following company and site specific accreditations:
- ISO 9001:2008 - Quality Accreditation
- ISO 14001:2004 - Environmental Accreditation
- BS OHSAS 18001:2007 - HSE Accreditation
All decommissioning operations and those of sub-contractors, service companies and third, parties must demonstrate compliance to the above accreditation requirements.